Saturday 21 January 2017

#38 | Twenty-Two

Feeling a tad old now. I finally understand why people say as you grow older, birthdays just don't matter as much anymore. But nonetheless, my wishes for my new age remains the same and as important as the past 21 years.

Being 21 last year, it was the year of awakening and healing. I have been struggling for a few years with anxiety and some personal matters. I took 2016 as the year for me to heal the wounds in my heart, to let go of some negative feelings and try to pick myself up from the abyss of self pity by making small adjustments in my life. 

For those who have been through emotional roller coasters, you would understand when I say our "highs" doesn't last as long as our "lows" - the dip of our lows are also much lower than the rise. Many a times, we have no control over how we feel, they just come and go without a warning. And more than often, learnt to hide these weaknesses well as we are quite a wreck at our low.

My main resolution for 2016 was to be happy. Not just happy happy, but genuine happy that my smile would stretch from ear to ear unknowingly, happy enough to laugh out heartily - naturally. Now that we have ushered in 2017, I think I have tried my best to fulfil that resolution by being mindful of my environment, of the conversations and my mood at that point of time. I sure tried my darn best to reflect the personality I envision myself to have, and keep unnecessary emotions in check. So to 2016, although you weren't an eventful year, you were important to me and you were much needed for me to stand back on my feet. In fact, during Dec 2016, I felt so much better than how I felt at the beginning of 2016 -- to me that was an indication that I have been doing something right, and I am heading in the right direction for 2017.

2017 will definitely be the year for me to continue pursuing mental balance as well as personal achievements. I will strive towards my new motto of "be kinder, stay focused and keep hustling". I believe that by cultivating a spirit of optimism and having faith in things and people, good things will slowly come my way and the answers that I seek for in life will prevail. 

Anyways, I was surfing the web and came across this (not that I am a follower of Christ, but I felt that his words were relatable to the new mentality that i have. You can click here to read the full thing if you are interested)


"...I am asking that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we “accentuate the positive.” I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and effort. I am not asking that all criticism be silenced. Growth comes of correction. Strength comes of repentance. Wise is the man who can acknowledge mistakes pointed out by others and change his course.

What I am suggesting is that each of us turn from the negativism that so permeates our society and look for the remarkable good among those with whom we associate, that we speak of one another’s virtues more than we speak of one another’s faults, that optimism replace pessimism, that our faith exceed our fears..."


And so, with this very personal post. I hope that I was able to help some of the friends that have felt the way I did while growing up. Always know that it is never too late to make tomorrow or even today, the day to change your life to how you want it to be. Sharing another quote: 


"Keep your thoughts positive, because your thoughts becomes words.
Keep your words positive, because your words become your behaviour.
Keep your behaviour positive, because your behaviour becomes your habits.
Keep your habits positive, because your habits becomes your values.
Keep your values positive, because your values become your destiny."


With that, I hope that 2017 will be a better year than before for you. May you be able to find purpose and happiness in your everyday life, and don't forget your beginnings or why you wanted to make a change in your life. 

Love yourself and others,
Sharleen X


No comments:

Post a Comment